18 April 2012

KALAMALKA LAKE, OKANAGAN LAKE - A TRAVEL LOG

This week I am working in the Okanagan Valley of BC.  Oh it is a tough assignment LOL  A string of lakes from one end to the other.  I drove from Victoria on Saturday.  This would be a holiday trip for many - start with a ferry crossing through the Gulf Islands, a bit of a tangle through Vancouver admittedly but then into the green of the Fraser Valley, up into the foothills and a spectacular drive through the mountains on the Hope Princeton Highway, down into the spectacular Okanagan Valley.  I didn't stop and take pictures, thought I could pick up better ones on the internet.  I will take some on my way back.  Before moving to Victoria, we lived in the Okanagan and in fact this where my mom, brother and I settled from the US.

On my way to Vernon, I stopped just between Kelowna and Vernon to take this picture of Kalamalka Lake.   Phone camera but still captured the clouds reflected in the water.


I have based myself in Penticton for most of the week.    Here is a commercial shot which shows the hotel and south beach area of Okanagan Lake, which I believe is the longest of the lakes.


This end of the lake is one of the few breeding areas for the Hooded Merganser duck, they are a common sight here and attract quite a number of "birders".

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place, enjoy your trip! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCKY!!!!! (do I sound like Napoleon Dynamite?)We LOVE ALberta and BC. Took the glass domed train from Calgary to Vancouver. We saw eagles, bear, osprey, beaver ...and searched in vain for the big monster in the lake. ENjoy every minute. WIsh I was there now~

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i had a place close by that is as nice as this one...looks like a blast..hugs

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thank you so much!

Photobucket