2 October 2010

HALLOWEEN MAIL ART

At Pages In Time I am participating in my first Mail Art Swap - what fun!  The rules at Canada Post have just changed - any decorated envelope etc going out of the country is considered a parcel so do check with them if you are wanting to do something.

There are 6 swappers so I will get Mail Art back from 5 others.  This is an example of what I have generally done.  I have used Distress Inks and Archival Ink.  I created a mask for the center and sponged Black Soot and Chipped Sapphire around the edges.

The fence is a punch by Martha Stewart - I have either adhered the fence on the envelope or used it as a stencil.  This witch and the bats are also MS punches - on some I have used a flying witch stamp.  The moon is another mask that I have used several of the yellow/orange Distress Inks on.  (Thanks Marilyn for the punches!)

I have used a Quickie Glue Pen to write the name and address of the recipient in and covered that with micro fine orange glitter.  The return address I have used a silvery glitter pen.

Here is my brilliant idea (yes, I checked with Canada Post) - at this point I cover the entire envelope front with clear cellophane packing tape and trim the sides with a kraft knife.  Then I turn the envelope over and re-write the sender/receiver addresses using the back as the front.  This is where the postage, customs form etc will also be.  This way the recipient gets their mail art without having all of that covering it up.  It will be brilliant if the recipients think so!

Part of the adventure of Mail Art is seeing how it survives the postal system.  I think that used to be simpler.  So is this not in the true spirit or is it adapting to change?   There is likely debate on that..

2 comments:

  1. Love your masking on this one. This is something I'm trying to get the hang of so I love looking at examples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty amazing! You've taken mail art to a new level!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thank you so much!

Photobucket